We guarantee the biggest, fastest tax refunds allowed by law.

Find a Location
RSS Newsletter Signup (click to preview)
Search PRO-TAX

Need a Copy of Your Tax Return Information?


June 10, 2010

There are two options for getting copies of federal tax return information--tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts--by phone or by mail.

Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return).   IRS does not charge a fee for transcripts.   Allow two weeks for delivery for most requests but see below.

There are five different kinds of transcripts.  The Form 4506-T allows only one form (1040, 1065, 1120, etc) per transcript.

The following transcripts are available:

Return Transcript, which includes most of the line items in the requested form and can be requested for the current year and three prior processing years.

Account Transcript, which has information about the financial status of the account (payments, penalty assessments, adjustments made after filing).  Information is limited to items such as tax liability and estimated tax payments, and most requests will be processed within 30 calendar days.

Record of Account, a combination of line items and later adjustments most requests will be processed within 30 calendar days.

Verification of Non-filing
, which is proof from the IRS that the taxpayer did not file a return for the year.  Current year requests are not available until after June 15 no restriction on prior year request.  Most requests will be processed within ten business days.

Other Forms:  W-2, 1099 , 1098 or 5498 series Federal (but not state or local ) information  may be  available for up to ten years except current year information is not available until the next tax year.

Caution:  The IRS suggests that you first contact the payer before completing the Form 4506-T.

Additional notes: A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules.  It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed.  In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and for applying for student loans.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed.  This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.