We guarantee the biggest, fastest tax refunds allowed by law.

Find a Location
RSS Newsletter Signup (click to preview)
Search PRO-TAX

Where's My W-2?


February 10, 2008

You want to file your taxes.  You want to get that refund.  But you still haven’t received that final W-2.  What can you do?  Keep in mind that W-2s don’t have to be mailed until January 31; be certain you’ve given a reasonable amount of time for it to arrive through the postal service.

If you still haven’t received your form, call your employer and confirm that they have your correct mailing address.  If they do, ask when the W-2 was mailed. 

If you STILL haven’t received your W-2 by February 15, you can call the IRS for help at 800-829-1040.  You’ll need to have the following information:

  • Employer's name, address, city, and state, including zip code.
  • Your name, address, city and state, including zip code, and Social Security number, and
  • An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and the period you worked for that employer. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

When you reach the IRS, you will need to tell them that you contacted your employer and that you still have not received your W-2.  They will take your information and review the items listed above.  The IRS will send a letter to your employer notifying them that they must send you the W-2 or they’ll be fined.  The IRS will also send you Form 4852 – Substitute W-2 Form – so you can complete your return. 

If you misplaced your W-2, contact your employer. Your employer can replace the lost form with a “reissued statement.”  Be aware that your employer is allowed to charge you a fee for providing you with a new W-2.

You still need to file your tax return on time even if you do not receive your W-2. If you do not receive the missing information in time to file, you can use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement.  Attach Form 4852 to the return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. 

Our trained preparers at PRO-TAX can assist you in filing your return – whether you have your W-2, or need to file with Form 4852!  Stop by your nearest PRO-TAX location today!